As you know, I engaged in answering some interview questions by DM of Heart to Heart blog. Because it was so much fun, and helped me to tell some things about myself, that others may or may not have wanted to know, I requested to do it again. Please humor me, and I hope that you will be edified by my responses to this one. This interview is brought to you by Vixious of Perpetual Expressions. Here are the rules again, in case you missed them the last time:
1. Leave me a comment saying "Interview me."
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions.
3. You will update your blog with a post containing your answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.
And now, on to the questions.
V: Your interact often with your husband on your blog and I know that relationship is a large and fulfilling part of your life. Considering what a rare feat that is in today's society, what wisdom and advice on marriage would you want to share most with other women?
SK: First let me say this, I am not a perfect wife and in fact this is not my first marriage, but I have learned a lot this time around. I also have God at the center of this marriage and that has made all the difference in the world. So now, on to the answer for this question: Aside from communication, which is so very important, I would say lose your sense of entitlement. No one owes you anything. In order to have a fulfilling Christian marriage, the precepts stated in Ephesians 5:21-33 MUST be followed by both parties. That's not to say that if one doesn't, that the other doesn't have to, either. Each person in the marriage is called to behave in the appropriate manner, whether the other person deserves it or not. Jesus didn't give us what we deserve, and neither are we to give others-especially our mates, what we think they deserve. We are to love others as Christ loves us. It's that simple, and that difficult. I am by no means saying this is easy to do all the time, or that I am successful all the time. But if you do your best to follow this very straightforward instruction, it will make all the difference in the world. Then of course, for me there is also "be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger." This has also made a huge difference in my marriage. Once I started listening, REALLY listening, let go of my sense of entitlement, and dependence on myself alone, our marriage became what it is today. The most fulfilling relationship I've ever had, and better than anything I ever dreamed possible. In addition, I have found that while I may need to vent on occasion about something that's truly bothering me in our relationship, I must be ever vigilant to think of my husband in a respectful, loving way. If I allow myself to fall into the habit of thinking of him in a negative way, our marriage becomes negative. Does that make sense? What I'm trying to say is, don't speak negatively about your spouse, and don't dwell on negative aspects of the relationship. Focus on the good aspects of your spouse, and they will be the things you see. Much as you did when you first met and fell in love. I don't see that as having Rose colored glasses at all. I see that as having God covered glasses. I love you Honey!!
V: You have mentioned your love of chores (insert sarcasm here), but what is your favorite thing to do for fun that's just very "Shalene"?
SK: Well, I obviously love to write, which is small part of why I blog, but I also love to sing, and I LOVE to act. Singing, I'm good at (most of the time) but acting..... Well acting is probably my calling. :) My husband seems to think so anyway. No, I'm not a drama queen (much). I am a bit of a ham (of course this will be a surprise to all of the readers. HA HA!) so being on stage just seems to come natural to me. I don't even get butterflies. Which no one seems to understand. I don't worry about it, because I just seem to become my character. And besides that, I know that I am acting for an audience of One. That what I do up on that stage is for Him alone. If others are touched by it, then all the better. But anyway, the short answer would be acting. Love it, love it, love it!
V: Why did you begin blogging and what were your goals then? Do you feel you have achieved those goals and, if not, have they changed any?
SK: My goal when I began blogging was to share my life with other women in a way that would glorify my Lord, and edify the readers. Do I feel I achieved that goal, well it's kind of hard to gauge the success of that. As far as the readers I know of, I think my posts are mostly edifying, if their comments are any indication. My goal has changed a bit now though. Now, I don't limit my goal to reaching women. I am sharing my life, and my life experiences and my study of the bible to reach both sexes. Admittedly, most of my readers are female, but no matter. The Lord will use me to reach whom He will. That is my goal now. Just to be used by the Lord in any manner He sees fit.
V: What's the one thing that you wish you were more disciplined about?
SK: What makes you think there is only one??? There are several things I wish I were more disciplined about. I think for me, right now, would be my smoking. I am quitting, and have tried a quite a few times before this. I am praying I will be successful this time around. I do not want to be a hypocrite in my children's eyes. Nor do I want to pass this legacy on to them. I also want to live a pure life as much as is humanly possible. So there you have it. The one thing I wish I was more disciplined about.
V: I know that like me, you are a late bloomer for Christ. What is the one thing you think is most important to share with those who have not yet made that decision?
SK: Oohh, this one is tough to put into such a little box! OK, well here goes: The most important thing to share is His divine unconditional love. That they don't have to be "worth it" that it doesn't matter if they stumble in their future faith walk. That though God is the Judge of all, He is above all a God of love. Love like you've never known. A truly unconditional love! All you need to do is accept His gift of divine love. It's like your favorite person holding out a gift to you and not even expecting a thank you in return. I think it's important to someone that has not made that step to know that attempting to walk in righteousness is a result of accepting His free gift. Not a prerequisite. I don't know if I said that in a way that will make sense to anyone but me, but I tried. May God bless my efforts, and that someone will understand.
Again, There is no "MORE" to this post.
Do you need to recharge your spiritual batteries? A Proverbs 31 Woman Wannabe is the place to do it. We welcome all and strive to love all with true agape love.
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








LOL Okay, I still had your page up from earlier and didn't even realize it. I'm just eternally on your blog now, MASS. :) I loved your answers!! You did much better answering them than I did writing them. I was curious about your marriage advice and I thought it was extremely profound and wise and I believe I will take it to heart. I do not have any thoughts right now about repeating marriage, but God is forever surprising me. :) Plus, I think you read my mind. LOL I'm forever telling my performance team we have an audience of One! I understand completely. As for your final word of advice, I understood that, too. It was a very heartfelt and true answer. Thank you for taking the time to wade through them. Love ya and may God bless you, MASS.
ReplyDeleteI thought they were very good questions! I enjoyed answering them too. Maybe someday, if I'm a famous writer, and I'm forced to endure interview after interview (and don't you know, I'll just hate every minute of it! :)) I will have gained some good experience by these interviews. :) Love you too MASS! May God bless your every day.
ReplyDeletePS Gary Smalley is the source of much of my marriage advice. You should read his book I Promise. My husband and I recently took the 6 week course that goes with it, and at some point are planning to lead one. It did wonders for our marriage too.
ReplyDeleteThat's a most interesting read! Like you I am struggling with this bad habit called smoking and cannot seem to kick it no matter how hard I tried.
ReplyDelete