Some men's sins are open beforehand, going before to judgment; and some men they follow after. 1 Timothy 5:24 KJV
This scripture is referencing the choosing of the Pastors and Ministers in the church. Why do I mention this today you ask? I mention this today because of something I learned yesterday. I found out yesterday, first hand, how easy it is to become an ordained minister! Yes, I'm now ordained. Does that mean anything? NO! (And if any of you start calling me pastor or minister, you will really offend me.)
The thing that concerns me is not that pretty much anyone can become ordained, but that too many of us believe that if a person holds a title of ordained minister, pastor, or evangelist, that they must really know their stuff. And we follow them blindly because of it. Today, I hope to shatter that notion!
Let me be clear here. I am not anti-pastor, anti-minister, or anti-evangelist. What I am is anti-ignorance of HIS Holy Word. (Yes, I know none of those things are real words, but let's pretend for a moment shall we?) How many of you, like me, assumed that to be a pastor or to hold the title of minister, you needed some kind of schooling? That's what scares me! I am frightened for all those souls that are following someone that claims to be one of these; thinking that they are somehow more qualified to teach the Word of God- based solely on their title! This is not always the case.
I am aware that there ARE learned men and women that preach the true Word of God, and these esteemed people are most definitely qualified to do so. They also have my utmost respect. But there are some that claim to be learned and do not preach what is true.
Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John,and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus. Acts 4:13 KJV
It's true that anyone can minister, if they but know the Word of God. And anyone can know the Word of God, by reading and studying it. You must ask yourself, though, anytime that you choose to follow the teachings of anyone: have they "been with Jesus"? Test what they say, test their claims. Do not blindly follow them! I exhort all of you, do not blindly follow me either. I am no one. I only follow the leading of the Holy Spirit, and am inspired by Him alone. But test all that I say as well. Know for yourself the Truth! We have become a society that does not recognize a fraud because we don't know one when it is staring us in the face. Get into the Word, and you too shall know the Truth.
I happen to belong to a wonderful institutional church, and am not telling anyone that they should abandon their church. What I am saying is that everyone one of the teachers within your church, if you belong to one, should be willing that you question them on their theology and their teaching, and it should fall in line with what the bible says. I, for one, believe the Bible to be the final authoritative, only infallible Word of God. Do you??
--Lord, I pray today that those reading these words will see that Your Name is to be glorified above all others in every teaching. I pray that they will learn the Truth of their own reading of Your Holy Word, and that they will not blindly follow the blind. I pray that Your Name has been glorified by my words, and that you continue to use me to reach others. I pray this in Jesus' Holy Name. Amen.
Do you need to recharge your spiritual batteries? A Proverbs 31 Woman Wannabe is the place to do it. We welcome all and strive to love all with true agape love.
Thursday, August 9, 2007
The Blind Leading the Blind by Shalene
Posted by
Shalene
at
8/09/2007
Labels: bible study, following blindly, knowing the Bible, Ordained Minister, prayer, truth
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








YES! and AMEN! Glory and Hallelujah to the Lord of Hosts Almighty!
ReplyDeleteI've been waiting and praying for the fire of the Holy Spirit in the Body of Christ somewhere and let me just say Shalene, you are on FIRE!
May you continue in the leading of the Spirit and truth!!!
I'm in agreement 100%. (As you can very well tell :))
Nicely put babe. Matthew 10:16 (NIV) I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. Love you!
ReplyDeleteThank you Hannah, and my wonderful husband. This was the purpose behind my doing what I did yesterday, I now know. So that His name could be glorified in it. I praise God each day that He has a divine plan for my life, and that He is showing me every day that I choose to obey. I pray that I will continue to obey and heed the stirrings of the Spirit within my soul.
ReplyDeleteI agree entirely with Shalene if I interpret one sentence the way I think she meant it. If I didn't, I'd have to deduct two points. (Hey, 98% is still an A+!)
ReplyDelete"I only follow the leading of the Holy Spirit, and am inspired by Him alone. But test all that I say as well. Know for yourself the Truth!"
Today, inspiration constitutes a huge sore point between Christians. As Shalene said, only the Bible is God's inerrant Word; but many, many of us (along with many false believers) have fallen for the idea that God inspires (in the Greek, "God-breathes") the words of some people on a par with how He inspired the Bible. It's such an easy shortcut to substitute the supposed leading of the Spirit for the reading of the Spirit's Words. That way, it doesn't take any sacrifice of time or energy to become as much of an authority as the next person.
I'm not disagreeing with Shalene's post -- I'm just responding to a pervasive error in churchianity that would be avoided if more people took her advice. Shalen's words bear repeating:
"But test all that I say as well. Know for yourself the Truth!"
I'm so impressed with the way you check the Bible before posting anything and the way you encourage people to look to the Bible as well to test what they hear and what they say. I read a verse in Proverbs 24-25 yesterday morning that held to the same teaching. I've written something on it and may post it in the future. (I'm not a very good devotional writer, but I'm trying. I just worry too much that I'll say something wrong.)
ReplyDeleteExcellent post!!!! A hundred times over excellent!!! There are Christians who are impressed with initials after a name but when it comes to theology, I'm not impressed. Most pastors today become pastors just like they would any other job - they supply their credentials, interview, maybe write essays but there's a problem with that....You must be called by God to be a true pastor. This is crucial yet it is hardly observed today. It's treated like it's just another job. Heckies...a lot of people coming out of seminary are further away from God - even bordering on atheism! We've got clergy who don't believe in the Trinity, evangelicals who think practicing homosexuals are going to heaven, they won't talk about end time prophecy because they think it doesn't apply to us, and women leading men spiritually and that's just for starters. I think their PhD's stand for Piled High and Deep! These hirelings are a stench in God's nostrils!
ReplyDeleteThe thought of billions upon billions of people perishing due to these hirelings makes my stomach turn! People look up to these men, we expect more from them and so does God. They will be judged more severely because they were in a position of authority - leading people and so it's a scary thing to lead people when you know you are held to a higher standard.
Amos 8:11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD.
It sure seems like we are experiencing this right before our eyes!!
Sorry to go off on a tangent Shalene, this subject always gets me fired up!
There are good men of God out there but they are hard to find. God does still call men to lead His people into truth. But we must not rely on that solely. We should be spending much time in prayer and Bible study and more than one day a week.
I agree with everything you've said Shalen and I must say it is very refreshing to hear. Everything you said was truthful and dead on and I just know the Lord is smiling upon you. I don't know much about your ministry (just found you) but whatever you're doing, keep doing it.. You've got a good head on your shoulders and I can really see Christ through you. God bless you my sister and all of you on this blog.
Also thank you for adding me to your blogroll. It is an honor. I will add you to mine if I ever figure out how to get one. (I'm new to blogging so I'm still trying to figure out how to do things - even navigating is hard for me) I'm going to add you to something of mine - I don't think I have a blogroll - but I'll figure something out because I don't want to lose track of this blog.
Blessings everyone - Carol
Hi Carol, thank you again for you comments. It seems like maybe you spent as much time on mine today, as I spent on yours yesterday. :) Anyway, thanks for visiting. (I am the only one that writes for this blog, but I have a few people that comment regularly. :)
ReplyDeleteI had a hard time finding this blog - I had to use that link you posted on my blog and that was the only way I could find it.
ReplyDelete