The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision.
--Helen Keller
Do you like to day dream? Me too! I've always been a day dreamer. Ok, I've always been a dreamer, period. One of my favorite day dreams, until a few years ago, was what I would do if I won the lottery. Though I don't play the lottery anymore, there are times when I find myself continuing to day dream, and I have found, more often than not, that when I day dream, I am dreaming about something I don't have. Sad, huh? But I don't think that's what Helen Keller was talking about.
We can have day dreams, there's nothing wrong with it, in principal, it's what you're dreaming about that you need to evaluate. For instance, in today's Christian culture, we find many televangelists talking about visualizing good health, more wealth, and prosperity. I have issue with that. I don't think it's wrong to want better health, to have better financial means, or to want to be prosperous, so long as the reason behind wanting these things is honorable. Let's be clear here though. You cannot visualize yourself more financially rich, and have it happen. The world doesn't work in terms defined in "The Secret." God gives us a better financial life, better health, and more prosperity, when it fits His purpose here on earth, not ours. Does that mean you shouldn't ask for it? Well that depends. Are you willing to say "Not my will, but Yours be done"?
So what should we be wanting "visions" of? We should be visualizing God's Kingdom here on earth, period. Not only should we be praying that Jesus comes soon, but that until He does, we leave this world a better place than when we entered it. How do we do that? Well, loving others unconditionally, as Christ did. By seeking out others, and sharing the Good News. By teaching our children every day, throughout the day, about God, and our Savior. By sharing whatever financial wealth we have with those that don't. By caring for others in any way we can. This often means that we will have to give up something we want for ourselves. Just remember though, that we are storing up treasures in Heaven, we are not to store up excess treasure here on Earth. We can't take it with us. (This does not mean, not to provide for your family when you are gone. This just means that whatever is stored here on Earth gets given to those that need it, not just put into a storehouse to waste away.)
Now whenever I dream about having a lot of money (it's kind of hard to dream about winning the lottery, since I don't play) I dream of how I'll give most of it away. How I can help others to realize their dreams of financial security, or even just a place to live and food to eat. What's your vision? Or are you worse than blind?
There is no "MORE" to this post.
For more thoughts on this quote, visit Heather at MommyMonk








I think you're right. Daydreaming isn't the same as dreaming God's dreams. Our visions should fit into His vision for the world. Amen.
ReplyDelete"Not only should we be praying that Jesus comes soon, but that until He does, we leave this world a better place than when we entered it."
ReplyDeletenot that is a Beautiful vision....
It's not our sight, it's HIS and only by being in HIS will can we ever know what HE wants out of us....anything less will be blinding....
(not to mention, distracting!)
great post! thank you for sharing today!
♥lori
Great post. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteShalene, I'm so glad you're on IOW with us today!! I like how you addressed the negative aspects of visualizing. Those "health and wealth" preachers really do harm the name of Christ. Somehow they forget our purpose is not for ourselves but for God.
ReplyDeleteI like how you say that God will give us more money, better health, etc if it fits His purposes, not ours. That is an awesome thought!!
Hope you are doing well!!
Such a great post, bless you.
ReplyDeleteWow, this was great...
ReplyDeleteJust loved your vision!
Thanks for sharing today.
Thank you for your thought-provoking post - and sharing your daydream visions - and better yet, your new visions!
ReplyDeleteI have a neat book I am giving away on my blog - come by and visit - and SEVERAL books next week! :)
Great Blog. I will be back to visit again.
ReplyDeleteI've always loved that quote by Helen Keller : )
ReplyDeleteThis is a topic that has become so distorted in our society and I really appreciate the gentle and eloquent way that share truth, Shalene. You're a gem!