Do you need to recharge your spiritual batteries? A Proverbs 31 Woman Wannabe is the place to do it. We welcome all and strive to love all with true agape love.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Passion Week


Here in the west, we celebrate this week as Passion Week. Sunday was the beginning of the week that led up to Christ's death and resurrection for all. Sunday was the day that we call Palm Sunday. It was the day that Jesus went into Jerusalem on a donkey, and the mulitudes went befor Him, crying Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord!
And a very great multitude spread their garments in the way; others cut down branches from the trees, and strawed [them] in the way. And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna to the Son of David: Blessed [is] he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest. Matthew 21:8-9 KJV
It's hard for me to imagine that this event took place not even a week before a multitude would again come to Him, but this time, they would be coming against Him. That the multitude would be coming to see Him crucified. After Jesus entered Jerusalem, He entered the temple and cleansed it of all the money changers, who had made His House into a "den of thieves". He then taught daily in the temple. He had a vast audience that hung on His every word. The cleansing of the temple (this for the second time) took place on Monday.

On Tuesday, Jesus gave us the most important commandment. That is, to love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind; and that the second is like it: To love your neighbor as yourself. We are told that these two are the most important of God's commands. It was on this day that Jesus confuted both the Sadducees and the Pharisees, because He spoke truth. Matthew 22

Nothing is said of Wednesday, except that this was also a day that Jesus taught in the temple. Then we see that Thursday, the Lord is explaining to His disciples, at the Last Supper what would shortly come to pass. He prays over His disciples and all that would here His Word. That the Lord would not take us out of this world, but would protect us from evil.

What a dramatic statement! We are in this world, but we are not to be of it. What does this mean? From much study, and prayer, I have learned that this means that we are not to seclude ourselves in strictly Christian fellowship, but are to lead unbelievers to Christ. We cannot do that, if we keep to ourselves. However, while we are in the world, we are to remain as pure as is humanly possible, so that we represent Christ accurately. We are to be Christ-like. Have you gone outside your Christian circle today?

Sometimes, I find that it is a daunting task, to step outside that which is safe. To step into the world, and witness to an unbeliever, and yet that is precisely what Jesus tells us to do. We cannot do this, if we place ourselves as an exclusive "society". God's love and salvation is for all, not just us, and how can we expect "Well done, good and faithful servant." if we have not stepped outside our boxes and done what was commanded of us? I pray that the Lord gives me strength to witness this week, to those that may not be in my inner Christian circle of friends. That I will find the strength and the love to witness to others His great love for all.

Please "stay tuned" for part two of the Passion Week. Blessings to you.

There is no "MORE" to this post.
Photo courtesy of Keith1999

13 comments:

  1. Very good post!!! We should be witnessing to others and step outside out comfort zone. And in doing this we are loving others because we are trying to point them towards Christ so they can be saved.

    I haven't witnessed to anybody here - I moved here recently and don't know anyone. (except my pastor and the church-goers) :) But I've found that there are lot of people here that proclaim Christ as their Savior because this is the "Bible belt." A lot of people here are more than willing to talk about Jesus which is good.

    I will be forever grateful to my old coworker, Andrew, for witnessing to me at work. I wasn't a believer at the time but the Lord was working in me. (I've got a pretty good testimony on this btw) Andrew made me sit there while he read the Bible to me. I only listened because I thought he was kind of cute. (wrong motive I know but hey, I wasn't saved) :) We also had Bible studies and I enjoyed them but I still didn't receive Jesus - not until later. (but that's another huge story) But Andrew played an important part in leading me to Christ and I'll never forget him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The issue here is this... How do you step out of your circle without offending or seeming like a crazy person. In today's society it is hard for a person to share their beliefs with another without feeling as though they are pressuring them.

    Here is also a good question. If you want to witness to a person, are you willing to be witnessed to? How would you react if a Muslim asked to tell you about the Prophet Muhammad. What about another sect of Christianity, such as The Latter Day Saints?

    I think the world would be far better if people of all beliefs could feel as though they could share their beliefs without the fear of being offensive.

    I think before you can feel as though you are willing to witness to another, you should accept that somebody might want to witness to you. Have you been to a different church lately? What about seeing what another type of Christianity is like on Sunday. Have you been to a Catholic mass? Have you ever considered attending an Islamic service?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phoenix,

    You equate witnessing with pressuring and that should never be the case. It's not about forcing my beliefs onto another person but rather telling them the Way - the ONLY Way to salvation which is through Jesus. And if the Spirit is at work in them, then they will accept the message and if not, then that's all we can do besides pray for them. But it's not about forcing people into a belief system like the Muslims do.

    And people will always get offended if they don't want to hear your message - especially if it doesn't match what they already believe. So the message of Christ will be offensive to some, yet the message itself is one of love and receiving Jesus as your Savior.

    You asked if you are willing to be witnessed to or if we've attended other sects of Christianity. Personally, yes I've been to Catholic mass, witnessed to by Muslims, Jehovah Witnesses, I was into New Age, I was also a practicing witch in a coven and everything, dabbled in Satanism and let me tell you, all that did was destroy my soul!!! I've been there and so NO I am not willing to go down that road again just so I can be p.c. or tolerant, or have an open mind. Those ways have brought me nothing but trouble in many ways but Jesus brought me out of those dark paths and onto His True path! Those paths lead to destruction even though they may seem good and right.

    Anyone could share their beliefs with me and I wouldn't be offended because I know where they're coming from and I understand because I've been there. In fact all Christians have been there because we are all born children of wrath.

    Another coworker of mine was a pagan and he tried to tell me of his beliefs and I listened. But I told him of mine too - we really had some good conversations and he wasn't offended - neither was I. He liked talking to me because he knew I was a witch like he was so I understood him. I asked him some hard questions about the validity of his faith and what it was based on. He had nothing solid to offer except myths, fables, and traditions. Then I told him of the proofs of the Bible like fulfilled prophecy, science in the Bible, archeological findings that prove the Bible, and the testimony of my very life to name a few. He didn't receive Jesus as a result but he DID question his religion and his beliefs.

    It seems like you may have met some Christians who tried to bludgeon people over the head about their beliefs and if that is so, then please know that that is not what they are supposed to do. It's not about submission through force.It's about gently leading someone to the only One who can save them. This is done out of love for them and a concern about their eternity.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only have a moment, but I wanted to thank you Pheonix for stopping by, and I will just say that I agree with all that Carol has said to you. I too have been witnessed to by other beliefs. I also choose not to go down that road again. I learned all I needed to know from the other beliefs while I "dabbled" in them. I thank you for stopping by.

    Carol, thank you for responding to Pheonix. I agree completely with what you said, and couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you. Blessings to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I am curious to how one would go about witnessing to somebody. Carol, you said that a co-worked witnessed to you. How did he achieve this and what ultimately lead you to accept Christ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted you all to know that I am honestly curious and mean no disrespect at all!

    I think you both for your clear and concise answers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phoenix, again I don't have a lot of time (it's bedtime for my little ones) I will give a very brief answer to your last question. (I do pray that you are honestly curious, and that you aren't being disrespectful. I will trust that what you say is true.)

    Though I know of some that go door to door, and I don't think that there's anything wrong with it, in principal, that's not the way that I witness. I choose to witness to others by my life and lifestyle first, also by never being ashamed of my beliefs. I am also open to sharing about my life before I came to know Christ. (I was vehemently against anything remotely resembling Christianity for a VERY long time.) I also do my best to love others unconditionally. I know that some may hurt me, and being human, I may hurt others, but I do my very best to be an ambassodor for Christ, representing His Divine Love for all. I have tried to correct others, in their beliefs, but have learned that that only causes tension and a lack of desire to listen. Therefore, I have endeavored, not to try to logically explain anything relating to God, because He is unexplainable by logic. Anyway, after I have shown a person that they can trust me, and all that I am, through Him, and because of Him, then I will share the Truth of His Good News with them. The Bible states that anyone that is truly seeking Him, will find Him. It's up to Him to convince and convict, not us. I hope and pray this made sense, and perhaps Carol will elaborate with her thoughts on this. Blessings to you!
    (BTW, we step outside our comfort zone by not associating with only Christians. That's all I meant by stepping out of our comfort zone.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Shalene! Thank you also for confirming in God's way that some of the thoughts I have when I experience insomnia (which is quite often) on what I should be doing out there is a prompting. It's getting louder...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phoenix,

    You said: So I am curious to how one would go about witnessing to somebody. Carol, you said that a co-worked witnessed to you. How did he achieve this and what ultimately lead you to accept Christ?

    First, I'd like to say that not everyone is called to be a missionary. But we are all to spread the Gospel and we do this within our own circles or reach. That is why we are to be content with where God places us(geographically or where we work etc.) because He wants us to witness to those within our reach. There may be someone He's drawing and He wants you to have the honor of pointing them in His direction. After all, we are not here for ourselves but to honor and glorify Him, and spread the Word.

    As far as how someone goes about witnessing, I'm not sure if I understand you. Do you mean the approach? If so, there are a number of ways...(I'm not sure why you'd want to know this because it seems from your blog that you are against Christianity) Anyway...

    Open air preaching like Ray Comfort does. He goes to a gnarly part of town with a microphone and asks them a series of questions regarding the 10 Commandments and whether they've broken them.

    During a conversation with anyone, you can always find a segway (or create one but this takes skill) towards the subject of Jesus. Like if someone asks you for advice, you could give them the answer they want to hear with a secular world view, then give them the Biblical answer with the Biblical world view.

    If you can, try to find out what they believe first and then build from that. I find that it's always easier to figure out an approach when you have a solid starting point and you know what kind of person you're dealing with. This can be accomplished very easily - ask a question like "what did you think of that movie Passion of the Christ." People are more than willing to offer their opinions on something. Pay close attention because what people say is a direct result of what they believe.

    You can approach a person not like you're an authority with the intent to teach, but rather on the same level as them. Ask them questions like what they think about "X". Wait for an answer. Even if you know they are wrong, ask them why they believe as they do because you thought the answer was "x" and you're just trying to figure this out too. They won't be on the defense because they see you as 'searching' just like they are.

    Yes these approaches can be viewed as strategizing but they are a very effective way to draw people out and get them thinking and talking. You'd be surprised at the things people believe but they don't know why. So this is why I get them to think about WHY they believe a certain thing and hopefully they will see that there might be a problem in their thinking.

    I personally don't walk up to random strangers and witness because I'm kind of shy. But once I do engage them in conversation, there's a million ways to bring Jesus into the subject without looking like a "nut." haha

    We are all called to be living witnesses letting Christ shine through us. When people see that we don't act like the world, and that we are filled with joy, not easily shaken etc., then they see the reflection of Christ through us and our actions.

    You asked how my coworker witnessed to me. Andrew is the type of person that just comes right out and asks "are you saved?" He doesn't have much tact nor is he subtle - that's just his personality and everyone is different. So he was direct with me.

    Andrew did not lead me to Christ but he played a part in it. My testimony is really long and frankly, I've never posted it in it's entirety because it's so horrible, it's not suitable for young eyes. But I will say this, I fought Him for years. I knew the truth but rejected Him anyway. I have Godly parents and my dad is a pastor and so I rebelled even more. Even when I was a witch, I TRIED to believe that there was a god and goddess within but deep down, I knew better. I was not ABLE to believe falsely even though I tried. After many years of fighting Him, ignoring Him, and rejecting Him, He basically broke me and stopped me from running. I couldn't fight Him anymore. My spirit wanted Him but my flesh rebelled and He stopped me from running away literally.

    So there you have it, it's long and yet I have so much more to say but I've already written a book and I don't want Shalene to kill me. haha :) If you have any more questions, I'm all ears.

    Blessings,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent post, Shalene! =)

    We surely need to get out of our boxes [just talks] and get into "doing" and the greatest "doing" is to love, it is to share the love of Christ.

    Appa, help us to not lose focus! Amen

    Sidharth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your answers were quite eye opening. However, the one thing I did not see and did expect was the idea of openness. The simple idea that you are a Christian and you openly tell your friends and family so, is in some sense, a way of letting people know about Christ.

    I see now what you mean Shalene by "stepping outside your circle." I think that simply wearing a cross around your neck in public (and not only at church) lets people know that you have accepted Christ. It might be a small thing, but it gets the message across quickly and without words.

    I think people who wear jewelry to express their devotion such as a cross necklace show their own respect for their faith. However, I have seen people wear shirts like "Jesus Rocks" or "iPray" and I think it makes Christianity seem like it's just a social fad for these people. It shows a disrespect for the institution, and even though I don't support Christianity, I accept and realize it's massive importance and the idea of dumbing down your religion to a quick slogan such as "Jesus Rocks" on a $15 t-shirt from WalMart does not make people see Christianity as a way of life and a faith, but makes them think it's a political or social fad that people do for fun or popularity. I think it's a thin line.

    Anywho, thanks for your words. I simply cannot get honest and lengthy thought out answers from the Christians I know in person because they often feel like they are being attacked or that I don't really care. To often in person I get the ol' "because God says so, period."

    So thank you for your information, I know that at least on here I will get an honest answer that you have had time to articulate.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pheonix, I don't understand what you meant by openness, but I will attempt to answer based on what I think you meant. I am always accepting of others, regardless of their faith (or lack thereof.) My own father is agnostic, and I was as well for many years. This of course, is in addition to "dabbling" in witchcraft, scientology, Judaism, and "Mother Earth" type religions (for example Native Indian beliefs.) My text box at the beginning of my blog also states that I welcome all and love all with agape love. That means "unconditional" love. Though I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm always perfectly loving- that's not humanly possible, I do try to be. I do accept that other's beliefs may be different from mine.

    However, if you meant that you would have expected to see that I am open to other religious beliefs for my own life, I cannot say that I am. I have found the Truth, and it has set me free.

    Now, when I say that I accept all people, that doesn't mean that I accept all the things that they do or believe as ok. Will I bang them over the head with my beliefs? No. However, I will not hide it, nor will I be ashamed of it. And I will admit that I always make a point of telling people that I will be praying for them regardless of their beliefs. To some, this is welcomed. To others, it is an insult. It should not be viewed as an insult. It is meant only as a loving act. Sometimes there is nothing more that can be done, or said for others. Blessings to you, and just so that you know, I am praying that if you should ever truly seek, that you shall find the Truth as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. By openness I meant that the best way to "witness" to people that I can see, is to simply be open about your faith and be willing to open up to anybody who wants to listen.

    I meant that being expressive in your faith and not hiding it speaks volumes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!! You and your comments are much appreciated!! Blessings to you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive